Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

New Year's in February

Now I'm thinking of re-defining the new years resolution to focus on Peruvian poetry, rather than on Latin American poetry generally. (That would be more of a lifetime goal than a yearly one.) If I know Peruvian poetry well, then that, combined with my more superficial knowledge of other national traditions and extensive knowledge of some canonical figures, will make me fairly well read in Spanish American poetry.

The two poets I know from Peru are Vallejo and Varela, with superficial knowledge of Westphalen, Cisneros, and a few others. I'm obviously not going to a great expert in one year, but I could probably become as knowledgeable, say, as a Latin Americanist who is is not specializing in Peru.

No comments: