Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, February 5, 2011

It's Ok to Hate Your Writing

It's ok to hate your writing. Your writing is not you. One of the main reasons for hating one's own writing is the recognition that this writing (possibly) does not represent the persona that you want to be putting forward. Do you sound like a pretentious twit? That is not you. If you don't hate your writing you will never come to love and appreciate it either.

One way to develop this capacity is to read things you have written long ago. If you have forgotten the thoughts behind the words and only see the words themselves, you will be able to see your own writing as though someone else had written it. I've been able to that and to see how well (or how poorly) I have written in the past. Sometimes I wince, sometimes I am pleasantly surprised at how smart I used to be.

I can do this also with writing I produced yesterday. That is a good skill to develop.

No comments: