Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Journals

I realize I don't know where else to send an article. There are very few in my field where I am interested in publishing right now. Probably I will choose Revista Hispánica Moderna, since I haven't published there since the '90s at least. I have been relying on invitations for so long I hardly know what it's like to submit an article cold. I have one almost ready to send out, so that's my project for tomorrow morning.

I feel I should risk rejection once in a while with an article.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

In a sense, you should seek rejection. What was it Beckett said? "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." In my circles, this quote is now often associated with the leadership guru John Maxwell's idea that we should learn how to "fail forward". As Cyril Connolly pointed out many years ago, the barrier to overcome here is our vanity.

Jonathan said...

I agree up to a point.

Of course the context for this risk is my history of success. In other words, I can afford to seek out opportunities with some risk of rejection because almost nothing is at stake except for vanity. I am not even trying anything particularly new, just putting myself in the normal position of an academic submitting work to a journal.