Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Singing

In preparation for my new year's project I have to ask myself several questions.

1. Why do I want to do this?

I have always had these little "self-improvement" projects. Some have come to naught, but that doesn't really matter. Even those have had some benefit, just not anything tangible I can point to. I have sung in choirs as a very young person, and I think everyone should be able to sing. It is the primeval performance of poetry and thus this goal is an extension of my last year's goal of improving my vocal performance.

2. What is my goal?

I will choose five songs that I would be able to sing by the end of the year, in, say, a small family setting, without embarrassment.

3. What are my challenges?

I can hear pitches, but not sing them with great accuracy. So I have to transfer a kind of "hearing" from ear to vocal mechanism. I have to increase my range, practice good breathing, and get a more consistent vocal quality.

4.What songs do I want to sing?

Waltz for Debby / Desafinado / Joy Spring / Lush Life / Stardust (for example)

5. How will I get there?

Recording myself, practicing every day. Perhaps taking a lesson or two.

6. What are the drawbacks of this goal?

None, that I can see. It is realistic, modest, fun. If I don't achieve it I have lost nothing. There may even be benefits I cannot see yet. The real reason I am doing this might be concealed to me.

7. What makes me think I can do it?

I know songs. I have sung before. I can read music.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic set list!