Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, January 3, 2013

L'enfer, c'est l'écriture des autres

I swear, reviewing articles is a fool's errand. Having to read articles with a very naive hermeneutical position, after having refined my own so much in the past month, can be tortuous.

I have revised Jean-Paul Sartre's aphorism, "hell is other people" to say that hell is other people's writing. Not the best position for a professor to take, I understand!

2 comments:

Leslie B. said...

It is a Habermasian problem, no common ground, how to even get across what you mean?

Andrew Shields said...

The problem that we become scholars of literature because we love to read good writing, but we end up having to read so much bad writing (by students, often; by fellow scholars, all too often).