Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Place holders

I often write place-holding sentences, like this:
Like Valente, Antonio Gamoneda reinterprets Lorca’s poetics in his own terms. He is Lorquian for three reasons: (1) begins with pain and suffering as the basic premise. Writing toward death as slow progress, in contrast to Lorca’s duende which emphasizes immediate danger. Heidegger's "ser para la muerte"(2) Fully modernist in his use of language, his theory of signification. The use of metaphor as a “porque sí” and his via negativa. (3) A negative vision of modernity itself. He also uses specifically Lorquian language, including words like llanto, but transposes it to a different landscape, identified with the North of Spain rather than Lorca's Andalusia
This would eventually be finished paragraph. The ideas are clear enough to me so that if I return, I would know what I had meant. The advantage is that you don't have to think of the most felicitous way of expressing an idea right away. Sometimes I can do that, but not always. I would tend to write like this at the end of a writing session, and come back the next day and write it as a real paragraph.

I would never leave a sentence like "Gamoneda is Lorquian for three reasons" in a finished book or article. That sounds bush league. One of these ideas here might accordion out into a paragraph of its own. These notes might be for several paragraphs. In fact, they are the summary of a whole section of a chapter.

Hey, I just used accordion as a verb! I wouldn't do that in an article either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This book is going to be truly interesting.