Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Working Dream of Louisiana Exceptionality

There were thunderstorms early in the morning. These very real storms seemed to have something to do with a dream I was having, one which lasted quite long: I was going to Louisiana (or was already there) to discuss exceptionalism with the blogger known as z. I had nothing to say about it, but that didn't seem to be a problem because the assumption I had was that the ideas would magically appear in my head once I started speaking about it. The thunder seemed to provide the proper attitude of sturm und drang and romanticism that I needed to develop my Louisiana theory.

I call this a working dream, because it arose out of my work and then also provided a way of processing it unconsciously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha, ha! We now have an ongoing colloquium on this -- supporting the idea of Louisiana exceptionality. You could come, it is in the spring, it just happened. My talk for next spring is "Cecilia Valdés in New Orleans" and deals with the increasing amount of documentary evidence that the Havana of this novel and the allegedly Cuban customs it describes are actually U.S. misinterpretations of Haitian cultural practices observed in New Orleans.