Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, January 3, 2014

Comp Lit

Let's do a little old-fashioned comp lit to start the new year:

Nouveau venu, qui cherches Rome en Rome
Et rien de Rome en Rome n’aperçois,
Ces vieux palais, ces vieux arcs que tu vois,
Et ces vieux murs, c’est ce que Rome on nomme.

Vois quel orgueil, quelle ruine : et comme
Celle qui mit le monde sous ses lois,
Pour dompter tout, se dompta quelquefois,
Et devint proie au temps, qui tout consomme.

Rome de Rome est le seul monument,
Et Rome Rome a vaincu seulement.
Le Tibre seul, qui vers la mer s’enfuit,

Reste de Rome. Ô mondaine inconstance !
Ce qui est ferme, est par le temps détruit,
Et ce qui fuit, au temps fait résistance.


***


Buscas en Roma a Roma, ¡oh peregrino!,
y en Roma misma a Roma no la hallas:
cadáver son las que ostentó murallas,
y tumba de sí propio el Aventino.

Yace, donde reinaba el Palatino;
y limadas del tiempo las medallas,
más se muestran destrozo a las batallas
de las edades, que blasón latino.

Sólo el Tíber quedó, cuya corriente,
si ciudad la regó, ya sepoltura
la llora con funesto son doliente.

¡Oh Roma!, en tu grandeza, en tu hermosura
huyó lo que era firme, y solamente
lo fugitivo permanece y dura.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, Rome. I want you to see La Grande Bellezza and opine. Of the 7 people I know who have seen it, 5 disliked and 2 liked. I like it. That is 5-3 against. The 5 say it is either immoral, or simplistic, or conservative. The 3 say it is artistically innovative, and somehow spiritual. My mother is in the 5 and had the most interesting criticism: you have to be Catholic to get it (I am a Spanish professor, so I am an honorary Catholic).

Jonathan said...

I've put it on my dvd cue for netflix. My taste can be rather unpredictable.