Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Old and New Dreams

I saw Old and New Dreams once in person, when I was in college. It is like Ornette without Ornette: Dewey Redmon, Ed Blackwell, Charlie Haden, and Don Cherry, if I remember correctly. I'll google it later to make sure. Anyway, it is nice that they are coming up on my rotation now, right before the Ned Rorem. I'm going to have to see if they have other albums aside from the one I have, called simply "Old and New Dreams."

UPDATE: I was right about the personnel. The wikipedia article depressed me by telling me all the members were deceased. Even though I knew that (except for Dewey R.). Redmon is the father of Joshua Redmon, also a prominent tenor sax.

Haden is one of my favorite bass players ever, next to Paul Chambers & Mingus. I am hearing a solo by Haden as we speak.

3 comments:

Phaedrus said...

Jack DeJohnette is happily still with us.

Phaedrus said...

Whooops - my mistake.

Andrew Shields said...

I never saw Dewey, and I'm not sure whether I saw Ed Blackwell or not, but some of the best concerts I ever attended featured Charlie Haden, and I saw one Don Cherry concert at a tiny place in Manhatten where he played solo on his pocket trumpet and a cheap piano that they had. There were like five people in the audience, and he had us all entranced and laughing at the same time.