Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Machado

I started a new article on Machado in English translation today. I had 500 words before I knew it.  I'm thinking this is going to be a significant article, and maybe the seed of another book. I don't want to do a whole book on Machado in English, but I think it could be a chapter of a book that included other chapters on the fates of other poets in English. I'm sure I could come up with a more imaginative organization of the material once I get ideas for the other chapters.

I. Introduction: the idea of translation as a part of poetics.
II. Machado
III. Quevedo and Vallejo: translation of logopoeia
IV.  Something else
V.  Something else
VI.  Conclusion

I saw a rather bad dissertation on translations from Spanish the other day. The guy was talking in very simplistic ways about bad and good translations, and argued that a poet's influence depended on the quality of translations.  He would have one chapter on a good translation, Borges who helped his translation, and another on a middling translation, and then one on a bad one.  It wasn't good.

No comments: